THE IMPORTANCE OF HAVING BIKE COUNTER DATA
Without accurate and consistent counter data, it is difficult to measure the positive benefits of investments especially when compared to automobile.
Having access to bike counter data is important for several reasons:
- Data helps to determine where investments in biking infrastructure are most needed.
- Data helps to quantify the benefits of biking to support new projects and funding.
- Data helps to make with the due scheduled time the maintenance plan of the paths.
- Data helps to understand trends.
Comark’s laser sensor technology is a valuable solution for your data collection and compared to other solutions you have following benefits:
- Distinguish bicycles from pedestrians.
- Accurate in detecting a group of cyclists and determine the correct number of people.
- Easy to install.
- No need of maintenance
You can also find below a comparison chart between different count systems to help you to take the right decision according to your needs.
– Understanding users’ behaviours
– Community based evaluations
– Low-cost solution
– High labour demand
– Limited data applications
– High degree of unreliability
– Cannot be used for yearlong period.
Pneumatic Tube Counter
– Short duration counts on bike lanes.
– Low volume traffic
– Conduction preliminary counts prior to installing permanent counters.
· Tubes wear out quickly.
· Regular maintenance required.
· Not suitable for location where bicyclist’s movements are unpredictable (sidewalk riders).
Passive Infrared Counter
– Measurement of pedestrians
– Low-cost system
– Cannot distinguish between pedestrians and bicyclists.
– Cannot be used on street
Inductive Loop Detector
– Long term counts on shared-used-paths but combined with infrared sensors.
– Electrical Engineering expertise is required for installation.
– Accuracy decreases in mixed traffic conditions.
Automated Video-Image Processing.
– Intersection and turning movement counts.
– Areas without dedicated bike/ped infrastructure or unpredictable user behaviours.
– Complex installation
– Programming expertise
– Not suitable for poorly lit context.
Laser Scanner Sensor
– Accurate count.
– Distinguish bicycles from pedestrians.
– Accurate in detecting a group of cyclists and determine the correct number of people.
– Easy to install.
– No need of maintenance.
– To be used for yearlong period.
– Power consumption.